As many of us already know, sleep has a direct effect on our mental and physical health, but many people across the world suffer from sleep issues such as insomnia, sleep apnea, Restless Legs Syndrome, etc. Keep reading to learn a few tips that will improve your sleep, and how to sleep better!
Listen to your body’s natural sleep cycle (this is the most important tip!)
- Try to go to sleep and wake up around the same time every day. Create a sleep cycle for yourself!
- Avoid sleeping in and disrupting your body’s sleep pattern.
- Do not nap for longer than 15-20 minutes as this may affect your ability to sleep at night.
Light & Noise
- It is important to sleep in a room that is as dark & as quiet as possible. Light and noise will either keep you from falling asleep or wake you up from your sleep.
- Avoid bright lights such as laptops, TVs, phones, etc. Bright lights from technology (specifically blue lights) reduce the amount of time you spend in slow-wave & REM sleep.
- Exercising regularly improves your sleep quality, increases sleep amount, reduces stress & anxiety, and helps with sleeping disorders such as insomnia.
- Regular exercise will increase the amount of time you spend in a deep, restorative sleep.
There are a handful of different devices that have been said to improve your sleep, like glow lights, sleep lights, sleep-buds or earplugs, and weighted blankets.If you’re interested in continuing to learn about sleep and how to improve your sleep, listen to this recommended podcast called “Ologies with Allie Ward.” There is an episode on somnology (the study of sleep) with Chris Winter that will give you a deep dive into everything you want to know about sleep! Now that you know how to sleep better, we hope you have a wonderful nights rest!