Many months of quarantine and separation may leave some of us searching for a bit of nature therapy. Let’s talk about some camping social distancing rules.
Although the pandemic has changed our lives, the importance of spending time in nature cannot be underestimated. Take it from Walt Whitman:
“Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth.”
Simple Tips for Safe Camping
If you are looking to enjoy the great outdoors, here are a few ideas for staying safe and socially distanced in nature. Whether you take a day trip to go hiking or if you take an extended overnight camping trip, these tips will keep you and your fellow nature lovers safe.
● Look for less popular parks
● Visit during off-peak hours
● Wait to depart in your car until others are not around
● Choose wide trails to allow for social distancing
● Wear a bell or noisemaker so other hikers can hear you and move aside
● Keep a mask handy
● Bring hand sanitizer
Looking for some more tips on camping during COVID? Check out this video from CBC News:
The Best Places To Camp Around the Country
Once you understand the best practices for camping, here are some recommendations for the most spacious and open camping sites around the country:
● Philmont Scout Ranch, New Mexico (the largest campground in the world)
● Jumbo Rocks Campground, Joshua Tree, California
● Chatfield State Park, Colorado
● Fort Desoto County Park, Florida (great for kayaking and distanced water recreation)
● Henrys Lake State Park, Idaho
● Wilderness State Park, Michigan
● Pawtuckaway State Park, New Hampshire
Staying Safe While RV Camping
Millions of Americans use RVs to travel the country as well.
If you are overnight camping in shared facilities, there are a few additional tips to consider.
● Remember to sanitize your hands before and after using the bathroom
● Wear a mask in the camp bathrooms, which frequently have poor air circulation
● If camping with friends and family, consider asking everyone to get tested beforehand
The Fate Unbound YouTubers have been sharing their RV journeys with millions of viewers for the last few years. The COVID-19 closures caused their movement some problems as campgrounds around the country shuttered.
According to this video, the community of RV campers has been hit hard by closures of state parks and other campsites. It makes life more difficult for these nomads.
“A lot of us don’t have a home base, you know. This is our home we don’t have a house so there’s nowhere to return to shelter in place!”Fate Unbound
If you or someone you love is affected by these camping closures, check out the Campgrounds Open and Closed list from Campendium. It will keep you up to date on the most recent developments.
No matter how you camp, ack extra sanitizer and check in with the other members of your party about COVID protocols before you go.
Remember, some people are immunocompromised and need extra help from others to help stay safe.
Everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the great outdoors. By practicing safe social distancing, even while camping, you can help make sure that everyone has the chance to enjoy nature. Now that we went over some camping social distancing rules, we hope you are ready to enjoy yourself and get back to nature!